Sunday 27 March 2016

Chakwera to face Daza at the MCP convention

Former Malawi Congress Party (MCP) Secretary General Chris Daza is expected to make a comeback in the main opposition block and will contest against Dr Lazarus Chakwera for the party's presidency during the forth coming convention.

Daza, has confirmed in an exclusive interview with Nyasa Times from South Africa.



"I am not in Malawi yet but yes the rumors you heard are 100 percent correct. I was focusing on my business abroad and ministry but there is a public outcry from the members, I have decided to honor them. Soon I will make it public for sure," said Daza.

Daza resigned from MCP in November 2014 and joined the then ruling Peoples Party (PP) and was awarded a Minister responsible for Good Governance in the Office of the President and Cabinet position (OPC).

Asked when did he rejoined MCP he said, "Not long after the elections of 2014, I went back to MCP. It's always been my party. At PP my focus and my invitation was to work in the government as a cabinet minister. Otherwise I was not going to move. I wish my Principal had allowed me to work with government while I remain it's SG."

He added, "to answer your question, yes my roots are in MCP and mostly intact because really this is the only party I have known since I started active politics in 1999. I was a cabinet minister for seven months, that's all, never meddled with PP politics.

"By the way I don't regret working for my government under the PP regime. I needed that experience. OPC being the hub of cabinet, I felt like a complete politician. As for Amayi (former president Joyce Banda), we talked about it, my return to my party, she advised me as a mother.

"I honor her for giving me an opportunity to serve my country. She is my hero, and we have a good relationship. As for MCP, it's my home, I am it's own son, it made me the politician I am today."

Daza was however optimistic that he still has support in MCP as he is already an insider.

"By the way, I am an insider already although I did not reclaim my SG position at the previous convention. Obviously there are a few rotten eggs that think I don't belong there, but they are jokers, so I don't mind them," he said.

The High Court in Lilongwe last week ordered MCP to hold a convention within 90 days after some disgruntled members dragged it to court.

Chakwera won the August 2013 MCP convention with 287 votes out of 652 cast while Daza came third after Chief Justice Lovemore Munlo.

Munlo came second with 169 votes whereas Daza came third with 90 votes, followed by former parliamentarian Lytton Dzombe with 24 votes, former Cabinet minister Jodder Kanjere with 21, former Farmers Union of Malawi (FUM) president Felix Jumbe with 19 and former Nkhotakota Central legislator Edwin Banda got 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment