Monday 20 January 2014

Mutharika speaks on illness and allegiance to US, says ready to offer advice to government


Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) president Professor Peter Muthalika on Sunday took time to speak on speculations going around, among them rumors of his illness, possible alliance and his will to advice the government on various problems.

Addressing the press in Lilongwe, Mutharika said as far as he is concerned, he is a health person.

"In fact, I have gained some weight, maybe because of the festive season so if I was ill as it is being speculated, I think I could have lost
some.

"Suffice to say that sometimes I do fall ill, as anyone does but not this time. My going out was solely to see my family, friends and give out lectures. I don't even know when visiting another country became a
problem," he said.

On his allegiance to the United States through annual visits and pay of taxes, Mutharika said that does not constitute change of citizenship.

"Allegiance takes place when you are nationalized by renouncing your citizenship, and take an oath not by just paying tax. Anyway, there is no any other country in the world that will allow a person to be earning money on their land and not pay tax, so when I am in the USA, yes I do pay tax, as Indians and other foreigners do in the country.

"So my advice to government is that they should not waste time sending people to USA just to investigate my citizenship, they can just come to my home in Area 10 and I will show them the card, in fact, it is not as green as they say, it is white," he said.

He added, "I don't know which lawyer is advising this group, I suggest they hire a better lawyer because they are just wasting money and resources."

on allegations that he went out at a time when the country needed him most as an opposition leader, Mutharika said he is ready to advice government on any burning issue.

"They are saying that I shouldn't go out because of the problem back home, I think they say one president at a time, so what is it that they are failing to address? Anyway, am back, if they want me to help, then am ready and I can offer such advice," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment