Tuesday 15 February 2011

A JOURNEY INTO THIS WORLD—MY STORY

This is home. Where my experience of this world started from. This is where all who have been there when situations were to destroy me resides. This is home.

As I stand at this depot-Guilleme bus depot in Mchinji… memories of my past flood my mind. To east, just a little bit far from here, is Kochilira Hosipital where this young man was an infant 25 years ago. Just a few kilometers from there, Mbingwa Primary school is the source of my better understanding of this language.

Obstacles have been many in my life, some which came after I learned of which is bad and good but some were there from the time I never realized who my parents are.

This is the man who cherishes both the mum and cattle for the growth from infancy to childhood because I was only breast-fed for a month only and relied on the cows to provide me milk- thanks for my grandparents’ passion of animal farming.

This was the period when my mum went to the college. Her younger sister abandoned school just to look after me….. People I love most!!!!!!

While still on this bus stage, I look to the west- this is where home is, Gomani Village T/A Zulu. This is the source of my happiness, this is where I was made complete and this is where I learned real life.

After my dad and mum separated in 1997 (I was in standard seven then), we left town and well-to-do life style and came here with mum, the seven of us. This is where I learning farming, doing different piece work for survival, looking after mu mum’s goats, hunting mice and fishing in our lovely Bua River.

This is where my elder brother and sister failed to achieve there dreams through education. This is where I realized that education out there ended in standard eight- we go there just to learn how to read and write, PERIOD!!

We were completely abandoned by our father and his relations.. “ana akuchimuna ndi mkodzo wa bulu umakodza paliponse” …. They told us so.

Then I look further to the east, I see Mkanda, where upon finishing and passing my MANEB exams, my distant grandparents called for me. Struggling with school fees, I started my secondary school journey- all I wanted was to bring change to our life style.

There, I learned a few things; tobacco farming and living in a very remote area. This is where Chancy discovered his tradition… Yeah!! I mean the Gulewamkulu.

Lucky enough, senses came back to our father, I came back to town in my second year of school. The smooth journey restarted. Life was brought back to normal.

I take steps towards my village, passing through Guilleme, where we used to go during festive seasons. Reaching home, I see smiling faces of my relations coming to welcome me. My sisters, two younger brothers who are still staying with mum, cousins, uncles and my other mum who sacrificed her life for me.

Everyone with his/her own story to share, presents to give me. But as usual, taking people who have seen me growing to drinking beer is still something I always do. To those who don’t, there is some respect I show to them.

These are the people who together, we used to form a group for doing piecework to find something for Christmas and New Year celebrations. These are the people who have never been tired to advice me.

As I add a new year, I know I still need to do more for them. I know is my responsibility to take care of my brothers and sisters from the other mum. I know I have to help my younger siblings.

I know I have to still bridge the gap which has been there between us and my beloved relations who are in Dowa (My father’s home).

All in All, this is where my final resting place is, especially in that graveyard which is jus 200 meters from home. This is where all my other relations are.

I know I still have mountains and rivers to cross, but I look to the future with a ot of confidence as I will soon going to see the light.

Just a tip of my journey into this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment