Tuesday 20 September 2011

Fying from village music to an urban music star- The story of Chatsengela

Nenkoman with Soldier Lucius Banda

Living in poor locations, be it in town or the rural areas, music inspirations are always felt and expressed at the tender ages.  For some of those who have had such experiences, they will agree that as



children gathered to play Chipako, kam’bisalilano (hide and seek) and mounding cows, cars and different objects using dambo soil, some were busy colleting worn out tins and bottle tops to complete the whole set of music equipment.

As the others got tired with whatever they are doing, they gathered around the band, perhaps to enjoy and relax themselves, such was a village scene to the young ones, a day well passed.

As we grow, old, some would completely abandon such feelings and experience, they will go for something very new to their lives while others will live to remember and continue the mission to reach their
dreamed destiny.

Such is the case with Never Chatsengela, known in the music circles as ‘Nenko Man.’

“When I was five years old and growing up in our village, I with my relations used to play with worn out tins. Together we formed a family band called Young Servants Band which used to entertain the villagers
during night plays and on some special occasions.

“We tried our best to sing Lucius Banda and Mlaka Maliro songs, little did we now that our fame started flowing to the neighboring villages.

As years passed by, and us still playing the music, we started receiving invitations to perform during wedding ceremonies and during variety shows in different schools near our village,” said Chatsengela
who hails from Nakuwala Village, Traditional Authority Njewa in Lilongwe.

When the family came back to town, Chatsengela still had the passion of the work he has left behind, no wonder in 2006, while he was in form three at Chipasula Secondar School, he released his first single,
Ndimakukonda which was produced at Psalms Studio by Norman Phiri.

“The song did wonders on the local scene but I was not fully satisfied since it was my first time to have a time in the studios, I wanted a second chance.  That’s when I produced Dziko ndi lozunza at Music Tech
by the same producer which was a marvel and no wonder it enjoyed airplay in almost all the radio stations,” he said.

From then, with all the confidence, experience and the passion, the mission continued.  He started being featured in different songs with the celebrated R n B star, Lawrence Khwisa.

“The relationship with Lulu grew wings, we are like brothers and I decided to collaborate with him on my next songs, the hottest being Manesi, which enjoyed a good time on MBCtv. I never stopped hitting
the airwaves as more singles such as I love you and Zili pa minga were produced,” said Chatsengela who is currently working with Ultinets Networking Company as a Network Engineer.

His music, he said, is centered on hard working and perseverance as it was like with his mother who raised him.

“Growing up with a one parent, after the death of my father in 1994 when I was very young, I look at my mum as a model. She is such a woman who never looks back even if mountains were a head of us. She
always persevered for the betterment of her children and thank God we all have something to do, and that’s the message I would want to carry to Malawians,’ he said.

Chatsengela is currently in studios at Eclipse Studios with Lulu as a producer where he is producing his first album titled Zili pa minga ndalama which is calling the people to work extra hard to have monies
and pleasures.

“I want to give my fans something they will be able to listen to at their homes. Despite being available to them through many live shows, I think I need to compile something for them. This will be a massive
album taking into consideration that I am working with experienced hands of Lulu and Skefa Chimoto who has also expressed interest to be featured in some of the songs,” he said.

What happened to the Young Servants Band back home?

“The band continued but later changed to a church choir. It is still there at the moment and the have produced by Tionge Chikusa of MC Entertainment. I still look at it as the source of my music career, it
witnessed the discovery of my talent,” Chatsengela said.

No comments:

Post a Comment